Saturday, March 21, 2020

Money and repurposing items

We need it, don't we? Money. We rarely barter these days. I'm fortunate that I have skills with which to barter, and I have. I have friends who are artists who barter for trade. Now people are hoarding "essentials," like toilet paper. There's not a reason to do that. However, now that more people are ordering items online and having them delivered or doing curbside pick-up, we are shopping differently. Are you looking at what is essential in your household and life? How are you budgeting your money? Are you making different choices now than you did a week or 2 ago? Are you living the same as before because you already were pared down to essentials? Are you careful with your money? Or are you splurging? Are you buying things you wouldn't ordinarily? Have you become resourceful? Having gone through an ugly child custody case and having to pay my ex a lot of money, I learned to get by on very little. Of course, I already knew how to do that since my parents weren't wealthy, and my grandparents grew up in the Depression. Everything was repurposed. Recycling wasn't a new thing in our family. Being creative with simple recipes wasn't new either. My kids think I hoard. I don't really. I have difficulty letting go of things that I know are still useful. Unfortunately I don't usually have a lot of spare time to dig through the garage to go through those things. Circumstances have caused me to clear our areas at times. However, I know there are bags of clothes that might be useful to someone in some way. What are you repurposing? Are you discovering new or rediscovering old/simple recipes? Are you making your own bread? Are you clearing out the garage or closets? Are you sharing items with others in need? I have used washcloths in place of toilet paper. So long as I have soap and running water, I can survive almost anything. I can get by without electricity. Water is essential. I even suggested to friends who have babies to consider cloth diapers since I used them and washcloths with my kids instead of diapers and wipes. The babies had less incidences of rashes when using cloth diapers. Those mothers aren't ready yet to try cloth diapers. I can understand that. If you are stuck at home, cloth diapers are easier and cheaper and cleaner than disposable. I'm willing to help with that process when/if they make that decision. What skills are you offering to others? Are you teaching others how to homeschool or do video conferencing? Are you teaching others how to work from home or crochet or cook? Are you cleaning and organizing long forgotten areas in your life and reliving memories? How are you offering skills to the service of others? How are you repurposing items? How are you being mindful with items, money, time, and skills?

No comments: