Thursday, March 19, 2020

Writing during uncertainty

Do you have a journal? Are you writing on laptop? Start with gratitude list. Then list of things to do/ change. Pick one, and list steps to achieve goal. When you get stuck, ask yourself, "what should I do now?" Return to list. If you are stuck at home, look around you. What do you have? What do you need? What can you cull? What can you donate to others in need? Rediscover a sense of wonder. Go outside and breathe deeply. What do you see? Be mindful and in the moment. When you drink your coffee, tea, water, juice, whatever. Savor every flavor. The initial taste and sensation. The after taste. The temperature. Mindfulness is a simple and complicated skill. This skill requires slowing down and being deliberate with what you are doing and saying and not doing. Are you eating well? What are you craving? I was taught at a young age that if I craved something, so it because there's a purpose. If you're craving a food, eat a little to satiate the need. Then slow down and figure out why you have that craving. If you are craving to go out, why? What do you want to do really? What are you avoiding? A friend told me that when I listened to music and tv all the time, even when in the shower, that I was avoiding silence and my own thoughts. Is that what you're doing? Are you avoiding being alone with your thoughts? Are you avoiding your faults? Your dreams? Your lack? Did you make resolutions and not start any of them or give them up? Are you feeling guilty? Use this time to focus on one goal. Just one. Write a list of things you want to do. Pick one to start. Or roll the dice to see which one you should try today. Do one thing today for 30 minutes. I was told once by a student that he felt he could attend and focus one minute for every year old he is. That makes sense. A 7-year-old can attend for about 7 minutes. When I teach classes, I keep the lessons to 15-20 minutes and then redirect the assignment or change from lecture to group work to individual work to lecture. The changing focus every 15 minutes allows the monkey brain to redirect to a new activity--or a new piece of the puzzle. That's why my students were so successful in learning what I gave them. They could take a complex task, break it down to bits, and focus on one piece at at time. What do you want to accomplish during this time? Or are you wasting it? Are you avoiding? I'll give new topics to explore. Let's see what you accomplish?

No comments: